AC Drive China Forum
Forum » General Discussion » AC Traction motors testing
Topics: AC Traction motors testing on General Discussion
Start by
Naseem Jafri
09-14-2013 11:25 PM

AC Traction motors testing

user Programmable converter control for type testing and combined testing of AC Traction motors
we are planing to establish type test facility for AC Traction motor as per IEC 60349 and combined test facility for AC drives for Transportation application as per IEC 61377 in our lab. These IEC calls for testing of traction motor with actual Converter are converter closely resembling the actual one. The availability of actual converter is not ensure. Thus we are trying develop a converter which PWM patter and speed control alograthim shall be programmable by user. We already have Power modules of converter. Can some one suggest for controls hardware and software.
09-15-2013 02:10 AM
Top #2
Mario Maggi
09-15-2013 02:10 AM
Naseem, do you like to test a small AC scooter at low voltage or a big train at medium voltage? Power modules are too different!
09-15-2013 05:06 AM
Top #3
Sandro Calligaro
09-15-2013 05:06 AM
If you are looking for a flexible controller for your custom power hardware, there are maybe many solutions. One of the most famous rapid prototyping boards used in motor control is dSPACE (DS1103, DS1104). NI also has some solutions.
If you are going to develop your own boards, there are many development kits from uC manufacturers like TI, ST, Freescale, which could be used as a reference for control HW and SW.
Of course, as Mario says, power level matters...
09-15-2013 07:50 AM
Top #4
Naseem Jafri
09-15-2013 07:50 AM
Thanx for response, Mario and Sandro. AC traction motor with power rating of 200 KW to 1.5 MW , rated voltage of 1200 to 3000 V, frequency 0 to 250 Hz will be tested. Mr Sandro, will you pl give some more details of solution available with NI.
09-15-2013 10:01 AM
Top #5
Sandro Calligaro
09-15-2013 10:01 AM
Sorry Mr Naseem, I don't have direct experience with these NI products, I've only seen a presentation, then I'm sure they have rapid prototyping boards usable via visual programming. If I remember correctly, it was this one:
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14207/en

On the other hand, I've used quite a lot the DS1104 from dSPACE, but it is surely more expensive.

However, for these high-power and high-voltage applications, special hardware is usually needed (e.g. optical fibres), which calls for custom hardware, or at least for custom interface boards, in my opinion.
Taking this into account, maybe developing a controller board can be the simplest solution...
Reply to Thread