AC Drive China Forum
Forum » Servo Control » Add a servo motor and ball screw to my linear slide product
Topics: Add a servo motor and ball screw to my linear slide product on Servo Control
Start by
craig henkler
11-15-2013 11:54 PM

Add a servo motor and ball screw to my linear slide product

I'm going to add a servo motor and ball screw to my linear slide product. What brand of servo motor is most popular? It may require a "Hollow Motor" to allow the screw to pass through. Looking for any feedback on design criteria that you can offer.
Thanks
11-16-2013 02:37 AM
Top #2
Steen T. Falstrup
11-16-2013 02:37 AM
You migth consider using a gearbox to lower the spindle speed, as ball screws travelling 3000 rpm produces a fair amount of noise. Using a gearbox will also provide a "hollow" place to Mount the shaft. See link below for example.

http://nos-maskindele.dk/en/servo-teknique-39/rexroth-indramat-msm040b-m-w-gear-p1713

As far as brand goes, if you ask 10 people you migth get 10 different answers.
Anyway Siemens is BIG in that field but there are several other manufacturers, whìch products can perform equally well.
Good luck with your project

Kind Regards
Steen Falstrup
http://nos-maskindele.dk/en/ Pre-owned and Second-hand. Automation-Components and technical articles.
A web shop run by Falstrup Maintenance.
11-16-2013 04:39 AM
Top #3
Roger Martineau
11-16-2013 04:39 AM
Use the new product of Schneider servo controller. It's very easy !
11-16-2013 07:20 AM
Top #4
Al Marthin
11-16-2013 07:20 AM
Kollmorgen is one of the largest manufacturer of Servo motors and drives. Their AKM motors can be designed to be hollow shaft depending on the size of the shaft size hole needed and torque. They also make a patented cartridge motor with larger openings and hole size and torque.

For the
11-16-2013 09:39 AM
Top #5
David Ford, PE
11-16-2013 09:39 AM
You need to talk to a ball screw manufacturer such as Thomson or Nook. If you're trying to do precision positioning you need to make sure you have the correct combination. Do you need a pre-loaded unit? What about feedback? I see that you are located near South Bend so you should have several major power transmission distributors nearby.
11-16-2013 12:17 PM
Top #6
Mark Gibbons
11-16-2013 12:17 PM
Hi Craig,

You can use maxon's sizing program to find you the right motor / gearhead you require:
http://www.maxonmotor.co.uk/maxon/view/msp

Simply put in your parameters and out comes some options with different optimisation (length, width, cost, technical optimum etc).

Maxon make some of the best servo motors for use on earth and mars:
http://maxonmoves.nl/mars-rovers
11-16-2013 02:58 PM
Top #7
Dave Emminger
11-16-2013 02:58 PM
If you'd like a single source look at Rexroth. They have high quality ball screws and servo motors / drives. They also make linear modules, either screw or belt, if you don't want to build your own.
11-16-2013 05:49 PM
Top #8
Jessica Sheets
11-16-2013 05:49 PM
Craig-
I am in technical Sales for Helix Linear (division of Nook Industries). I would be happy to discuss options with you.
Hope to hear from you,
Jessica
11-16-2013 08:44 PM
Top #9
Burak Cedetas
11-16-2013 08:44 PM
I would think like "which supplier has better product for my application and support services in my area?"
In my humble opinion servo applications may require intensive engineering support.
You can achieve your performance targets with the above 2 items quickly and with less hassle.
Regards
11-16-2013 11:42 PM
Top #10
Simone Gianotti
11-16-2013 11:42 PM
As Steen stated in a previous comment "if you ask 10 people you might get 10 different answers".
In my opinion, together with the "hollow motor" requirement, there are other three-four factors that should guide your choice:
- your payload range (how big of a motor you need: different vendors have different motor ranges)
- whether you prefer a solution motor+drive or a solution based on an integrated motor (motor+drive all in one unit)
- which interface(s) you want to use to run your system (IOs, CANopen, EthernetIP, EtherCAT...)
- how much do you want to spend vs what performances you want to have (if cost is your biggest concern, maybe a solution based on steppers or DC brushless motors works better for you than a solution based on servos).

There are many other parameters that you may decide to evaluate, but I think that when you have an answer to these four questions, you will have already narrowed down the number of your possible suppliers.

Best Regards,
Simone Gianotti
11-17-2013 01:48 AM
Top #11
Al Marthin
11-17-2013 01:48 AM
Having sold both AC Servo drives/motors and DC drives/motors, I always found that DC drives/motors were always more expensive solution than AC Servo drives/motors.

If you work with a company that only makes AC Servo drives/motors, they usually are more flexible building a custom motor, if needed for your application, than a larger company where AC Servo drives/motors sales are a small part of their overall sales & not their primary focus.
Reply to Thread