AC Drive China Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Difference(s) between 'Phase', 'Pole' and 'Line' in Power Engineering
Topics: Difference(s) between 'Phase', 'Pole' and 'Line' in Power Engineering on General Discussion
Start by
ADEKOLA Adewale
11-16-2013 02:11 AM

Difference(s) between 'Phase', 'Pole' and 'Line' in Power Engineering

Hi everyone! I'll like to know the difference(s) between 'Phase', 'Pole' and 'Line' in Power Engineering
11-16-2013 04:48 AM
Top #2
Bill Edwards
11-16-2013 04:48 AM
they are all terms associated with connection points on an electrical system. phase and line may be misleading though. phases refer to the number of currents being carried.. for instance, single or three phase systems. the system voltage will vary if you measure phase to phase (phase voltage) or phase to ground (line voltage). pole refers to the number of total connection points to the system and does not necessarily reflect the number of current carrying electrical phases.
11-16-2013 07:00 AM
Top #3
Saeed Asghari
11-16-2013 07:00 AM
Pole refers to electric machines in electrical systems. i.e. we calculate rpm of synchronous machine with this formula ns=(120*f) / p , where "p" is number of pair poles.
Phase and line are related to voltage and current. i.e. we have 2 types of voltages in 3 phase system in star connection. if we measurement voltage between one phase and ground (L-N), this called phase voltage and if we measurement voltage between two phase (L-L), this called line voltage.
good luck
04-02-2014 09:00 AM
Top #4
Edwina
04-02-2014 09:00 AM
Sorry not need to be rude. I notice something bit off as I was reading the two post answering the question. Might be I am confused. It seem like one of you define measurement phase is phase to phase and another person define is as phase to ground and vice versa. Probably my English language is poor, that I misinterpret 
Reply to Thread