AC Drive China Forum
Forum » AC Drives » PID control algorithm with VFD. what is the most appropriate?
Topics: PID control algorithm with VFD. what is the most appropriate? on AC Drives
Start by
Abdullah Alkhalifah
11-10-2013 11:31 PM

PID control algorithm with VFD. what is the most appropriate?

Using VFD to save energy is great concept. However, what are the impaction interim of ability to develop a robust and efficient control strategy that involves manipulation the pump speed to control flow rate and discharge pressure. Id the typical PID control algorithm effective here or VFD need different control algorithm. I appreciate sharing your experience.
11-11-2013 02:00 AM
Top #2
ABHISHEK SAXENA
11-11-2013 02:00 AM
These feature are in Build in some VFDs no seperate Algorith is required. Directly Flow & Pressure feedback can be provided to VFD it uses its internal PID and provide the flow as per process requirement.
11-11-2013 04:31 AM
Top #3
Rodrigue Saab
11-11-2013 04:31 AM
If PID is not providing satisfactory results and with a closed loop control requirement (flow and pressure), I would consider the vector control VFD (control torque and speed independently http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_control_(motor)) and the feedforward control strategy (higher immunity to disturbances). This combination doesn't only save energy but can also maximize your asset's life and provide a smooth operation.
11-11-2013 07:13 AM
Top #4
Jake Roeder
11-11-2013 07:13 AM
Many drives currently offer quite stable and robust PID functions built in. For example, the VACON 100 FLOW, which has been developed specifically with pumping in mind, offers a complete solution using the PID internal to the drive to control the motor and a second independent PID loop in the drive to control external valves or dampers. The VACON 100 FLOW also offers a fantastic multi-pump application capability for a variety of multi-drive and mult-motor applications for redundancy, even pump wear and precise demand control. If you'd like to know more about the VACON 100 FLOW, feel free to contact me or head on over to http://www.vacon.com/products/AC-Drives/vacon-100-flow
Reply to Thread