AC Drive China Forum
Forum » General Discussion » PMDC motor magnet
Topics: PMDC motor magnet on General Discussion
Start by
Sivaprasath R
09-23-2013 09:51 PM

PMDC motor magnet

Hello, Is there any ways to find the magnet is been magnetized correctly in an PMDC motor. Is there any ways other than checking the magnet with the Gauzz meter or flux meter for the magnet strength.
09-24-2013 12:10 AM
Top #2
Bill Kazlauskas
09-24-2013 12:10 AM
The BEMF of the motor is an indicator of magnetic charge. We often run quick tests by spinning the motor at a known speed and measuring the generated voltage. The waveform of the BEMF can also indicate uneven charges, sometimes.
09-24-2013 02:52 AM
Top #3
Dean Williams
09-24-2013 02:52 AM
For a PM DC motor with magnets in the field, apply rated armature voltage with nothing attached to the shaft. Use a calibrated hand held tachometer to read the RPM's. If the measured RPM's match the nameplate, the magnets are within specification. If the RPM's are greater than the nameplate, the magnets are weak. This condition is called field weakening, and is standard operation on shunt wound motors when running a constant horsepower application.
If you have a prony brake dyne meter, you could read lb ft of torque, and determine the magnet strength. Field flux X armature flux equals torque. Weak magnets will yield a motor with low torque producing capability.
09-24-2013 05:05 AM
Top #4
Ashish Srivastava
09-24-2013 05:05 AM
Dean is telling nicely and proper way.though I am using Gauss meter but I have an idea. A bit crude way if you have a standard magnet. put coil on a soft iron piece and magnetize it.then measure force of attraction/repulsion between this and standard magnet.with this data measure similar force between your magnetized piece and coiled one and compare.coiled piece have choice to change strength of magnet by changing its current.You can use simple lifting balance to measure this force.I have used similar strategy to know direction of coil rotation in a unknown coil when I haven't a gaussmeter(even a compass not availble on that day!).
09-24-2013 07:39 AM
Top #5
Peter Paul Buquet
09-24-2013 07:39 AM
Dean is telling the proper way by infranor i had a tool to magnetize and demagnetize
PMDC motors from Mavilor and ABB/ BBC pancake motors and after magnetize i did the measurment as Dean told you.
09-24-2013 09:59 AM
Top #6
Art Wagner
09-24-2013 09:59 AM
I don't see how you would insert a Gauss meter probe into the airgap of an assembled BDCM. Further measuring forces as you suggest is much more difficult than measuring generated voltage. Are you a quality control environment? Or evaluating initial pieces? I think that spinning the motor and observing the waveform is by far the easiest method. Some calibration is necessary, though.
Art Wagner
09-24-2013 12:25 PM
Top #7
Jim Bausch
09-24-2013 12:25 PM
Simplist way I know is to let the motor coast, and view the terminal waveform on a 'scope. This technique removes the effects of current, resistance and inductane in the circuit. The terminal voltage is the back emf, which is directly related to the flux. Just synch the scope to the voltage drop seen when the supply is removed. You will need to know the RPM at the instant of disconnect.
09-24-2013 02:35 PM
Top #8
Sivaprasath R
09-24-2013 02:35 PM
As marked by Mr.Bill I tried this before by coupling a motor to another motor and run at a constant speed of 2000 rpm, got the Eg voltage when substituted in Eg = PNφZ/60A and found the φ flux value. But the result between difference in the low magnetized with the master sample, I am getting an difference of 10% of the reading between both results, issue what i had is the saturation wb maxwell of the magnet itself has an 10% of tolerance. so I need to confirm that even when the magnet is partially magnetized (partially means the magnet is not magnetized throughout the cross section of the magnet, the magnet should be magnetized around 80% of its total length) any other way to check this out
- Siva
09-24-2013 05:30 PM
Top #9
Sivaprasath R
09-24-2013 05:30 PM
One another method which i experienced is that when the armature is been inserted, the armature does not fit in to the center axis of the magnet rather it is been shifted to the upward direction, I think it means that the lower edge of the magnet is not been magnetized fully. All these are only observed any theoretical way or method to prove this
-Siva
Reply to Thread