AC Drive China Forum
Forum » PLC - Programmable Logic Controller » Which PLC technology is easy to learn?
Topics: Which PLC technology is easy to learn? on PLC - Programmable Logic Controller
Start by
Sharad Prajapati
10-26-2013 05:04 PM

Which PLC technology is easy to learn?

Dear members i m software engineer and i wanna learn PLC. So i want to know which PLC Language (technology) is easy to learn and useful in industry.
10-26-2013 07:35 PM
Top #2
Christian Selvin
10-26-2013 07:35 PM
Well the languages themselves are fairly similar between different manufacturers. You basically have ladder logic (which looks like a relay contact map), function blocks (which are more akin to an electronic circuit overview) and structured language (of which there are several variants. Most look a lot like high-level programming languages). You might encounter some functions having different names or in-/outputs between manufacturers but most of them look much the same. They have the same functionality although complex programming is easier in structured code. If you have worked with high-level programming, you might want to take a look at structured languages first as these will likely feel familiar.

As for ease-of-use, I usually recommend the larger manufacturers; not because these have the best, cheapest or easiest software but because they have very substantial and comprehensive online support which, for a beginner, is more helpful than a cheap program. The big companies such as Siemens, Scheinder, ABB and Rockwell all have very comprehensive online help, programming examples and guides as well as manuals available. Most also have "starter-kits" of their software and hardware available although these of course require some form of budget.

I hope this helps somewhat. Good luck.
10-26-2013 10:00 PM
Top #3
Sharad Prajapati
10-26-2013 10:00 PM
Hey Christian Thanks for your valuable suggestion. It will help me so much to start learning the PLC.
10-27-2013 12:57 AM
Top #4
Christian Selvin
10-27-2013 12:57 AM
@Sharad No problem. Good Luck and welcome to the buisness
10-27-2013 03:48 AM
Top #5
Chad Crowe
10-27-2013 03:48 AM
Sharad,

I just got back from an event where we used this video - www.youtube.com/watch?v=znyLPIDFl00 - to introduce over 825 kids to Ladder Logic Programming. We used the CLICK PLC from AutomationDirect.com (The company that I work for.) Hopefully this video will help get you started on learning Ladder Logic! We also have a lot more videos on our Youtube Channel at www.youtube.com/automationdirect . Good Luck!
10-27-2013 06:42 AM
Top #6
Sharad Prajapati
10-27-2013 06:42 AM
Hey chad thanks.
i m downloading the videos.
Reply to Thread